Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Taste of Times Square 2009




Yesterday, I had the wonderful opportunity of participating in the Taste of Times Square event on New York's famed Restaurant Row. For years I heard of this event but never had the opportunity of going, and decided to make the effort of attending this year. Unlike most of New York's traditional summer events and festivals, Taste of Times Square started in the mid-afternoon at 5pm: just in time for the tired working folks to participate. Music was heard from several blocks away: the atmosphere was alive with entertainment from tap dancers, violinists, mariachi performers, and drummers. The scene reminded me of the New Orleans' French Quarter during Mardi Gras. people from all around the world came to chow down on some of New York's finest foods.












Over 53 restaurants participated - offering a wide variety of food to choose from. Crowds gathered around booths to get a bite of the big apple's finest restaurants. Although the event was free; however, sampling the tasty dishes weren't. Tickets were sold at $1 each and the price of a sample portion ranged from $1-6 (still a great deal considering the hefty portion you received).





I came prepared - on an empty stomach. As a result, I was able to treat myself to several international dishes. At Gallagher's Steakhouse, I tried some of their signature steak sandwiches which came with BBQ chips on the side. Stuffed with steak and sauteed onions, I would highly recommend this at Gallagher's Steakhouse if you're into some good Ole' American dishes.







From there, I made a stop at Shula's Steak House - founded by the Miami Dolphin's former head coach Don Shula and sampled their famous steaks. The yummy tender loin was served with their signature sauces. Also, I chomped on a Mediterranean lamb wrap from Toloache (which I wasn't too fond of), mouth watering Paella from Meson Sevilla, tried a great seafood salad at Da Rosina Ristorante Italiano, southern style soul food from B.Smith's and my voted favorite - Pulled Pork Sandwich from Joe Allen.










Later on, we met up with B-RAE who joined in on the fun. Drum lessons were provided by the Drum cafe. As an incentive to burn calories, free dance lessons were provided by the Dance Manhattan Studio to the event goers. This was a sensational one day event - family, friend, and couple friendly. Overall, I spent $30 between Will and I which was well worth it. Next year I'll bring a doggy bag. The only complaint I had was not having enough time to visit all the restaurants and munch on an Alligator in a blanket from Bourbon Street.




You Still Have Time to Taste The Best of Times Square. Print out this coupon and present it at participating restaurants by June 30 and enjoy 15% off.




"Fashion Is Foremost Inspiration"
- Suzanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Your Own Website