Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Foundation Spotlight: "Hello Flawless"

I’m always looking for the perfect foundation and I haven’t found mine yet, but today I’d like to share with you my thoughts on “Hello Flawless” from Benefit. As you’ll be able to tell, I’ll be completely honest with you. There are some things about this foundation I love and some I don’t like so much. I’d rate it an 8.5 out of a possible 10 and, honestly, that’s the highest I’ve ever rated any foundation.



According to Benefit Cosmetics, “ This silky powder cover-up glides on naturally sheer and layers beautifully for customized coverage with SPF protection. With 6 shades, it's easy to find your perfect match.


Tips and tricks: For a sheer finish, sweep "hello flawless!" on with your brush. With quick, light strokes, blend from the center of your face outward. Use it over bare skin, moisturizer or primer to look naturally flawless! To cover it all (& then some!), apply evenly over entire complexion with sponge. For spot cover-up, dab on boo boos & blend. "



It is true that it’s silky and layers extremely well. Achieving full cover with this foundation using the provided (washable!!!) sponge is fast and easy and powdering your face with the provided brush or any other powder brush (for example this Celazome Natural Skin Brush) is also fast and super easy. I’d recommend buying another makeup sponge with similar texture because sponges can take their time to dry. It has SPF 15 so it might not be the best pick for when you know you’ll get photos taken because SPF reflects the flash light and will give you a ghost-like white aura.








I never buy into the “radiant” and “luminous” foundations. I feel they leave my skin looking and feeling greasy and I hate that. You'll end up powdering too much and it will never feel comfortable. This foundation, whoever, leaves your skin radiant with absolutely no shine and stays on like a dream. I tried it out at Sephora today and walked home about half a mile in an 81ºF heat and it stayed with no shine whatsoever. So that’s the best part about this foundation. This foundation with be best for those with oily to combo skin, though it’d be also nice for people with normal.




Powder and Cream-to-Powder foundations are known to oxidize a lot. This means that in contact with air, the color will deepen. However, I don’t think it oxidizes much; it oxidizes much less than most mineral powder foundations I’ve ever tried. This is definitely a plus and a big one, This means you can put your foundation and walk out the door knowing the color will look the same throughout the day as opposed to applying your foundation really early before leaving the house to avoid looking too pale or having to worry that your face looks orange by noon. Now, as I'm writting this post, 7 hours later, my skin looks awesome.


Some of the down sides to this prouduct, would have to be the lack of color choices and that it transfers. If your skin is darker than a medium-deep tan, they won’t have a color for you. For reference, I am a MAC NC 20 to 25 and my Benefit’s Hello Flawless shade is 01- Me Vain? (Benefit is very original and fun when naming their products. I love it). And sadly, it transfers to your clothes or hand if you happen to touch your face. The transferring aspect is why I don’t give this foundation a higher score.


As I said before, this is an extremely good foundation and, to me, the best so far. If you like MAC’s Studio Fix Powder, this foundation is similar, only it’s better. It has a more radiant finish, it doesn’t do that nasty oxidizing and it isn’t as yellow. It is, however, more expensive.


Buying foundation is something very personal and everybody’s tastes are going to be a little different. I'd recommend go to a Sephora or other place where they sell Benefit Cosmetics and ask the sales assistant to let you try it and see how it works for you. Then let me know what you think. I love reading your comments, and I have a lot of fun replying to you all.

"Fashion is Foremost Inspiration"

Micky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Your Own Website