Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Micky’s Guide: Blue Eyeshadow... The Classy Way


Blue eyeshadow is a huge trend for spring this year and, sadly for some, there’s not much way around it. There are several guides and demos out there to help you use this particular color but since I still see so many “disasters”, I felt the need to write some tips.

Last Saturday I was quietly enjoying my lunch with some friends at a restaurant when, suddenly, I looked up (alright, I confess, when I stopped flirting with the guy who resembled a Greek god and happened to be sitting at the table in front of mine) and saw hell! It was a mature woman with cobalt blue eyeshadow up to her eyebrows. I was temped to go to her and hand my business card but I just shook my head and kept flirting. I mean, eating – I kept eating.

When applying blue eyeshadow, here are some tips you might find useful.


1- Choose the right shades of blue for you. I wouldn’t recommend a shade that is lighter than your skin tone, just because it tends to look ashy. For all skin tones, take a look at this Eyeshadow Duo
by Essence. It’s only $2.49 - so even if you hate seeing yourself in blue, you won’t break the bank. Ulta has these duos in many other combinations, if you're interested.




2- Choose a good base. Some people tend to oxidize blue pigments and after half an hour or so, the eyeshadow will look like a weird grey-is brown mess rather than blue. If you don’t have this problem, your regular primer will do just fine but if you need some extra help, use blue eyeliner (gel or pencil) as a base to color the space where you’ll want blue eyeshadow to be and only then apply your powder. If you’re using pencil, consider warming it a little before using on your lid or crease. Since the skin is so delicate in that area, you don’t want to have to press hard and risk hurting yourself to get a decent color payoff. Personally, I prefer cream eyeshadows that don't crease. This way, you have your primer and your base all in one. For $1, try Blueberry cream eyeshadow duo by E.L.F.



3- In makeup, the eye is often divided in brow bone, crease, lid and lower lash-line. Unless you are doing editorial or costume makeup of some sort, blue shouldn’t really be seen on the brow bone. Forget baby blue eyeshadow as a highlight unless it’s in the inner corner. Just, forget it!



4- Blue is best paired with neutrals for (every)day wear. For a night out, a smoky navy blue or a more colourful makeup is a good bet. But, back to the neutrals, two basic looks you can do are either use a medium blue on your lid with a warm golden brown that is 2-3 shades darker than your skin tone on the crease and black liquid eyeliner on the top lid only (use a neutral highlight, preferably matte and leave the bottom lower lash line bare. Use a couple of coats of mascara, too) or, alternatively, simply do a regular neutral look that isn’t too dark and dramatic on the upper lid and line your lower lash line with a pretty blue eyeshadow or eyeliner of your choice. Here you can use eyeliner to line your lower waterline as well. I do this often with different colours and it looks really pretty. Making a black liquid eyeliner line on your upper lash-line and doing another blue line on top of the black line while keeping the rest of your look toned down looks very classy as well. Have you tried L'Oreal HiP High Intensity Pigments Color Truth Cream Eyeliner in Midnight Blue?



5- Keep the rest of your face neutral. Neutral is not always nude. Go for a clear lipgloss and a peachy blush or bronzer and you’re done.



I know sometimes I sound like I hate blue eyeshadow but that’s not the case. I like it, but I think it needs moderation and some people just don’t know how to apply it in a tasteful way. Are you going to adopt blue eyeshadow for spring? Let me know in the comments!


50% Off Studio Makeup with $15 Purchase. Use code


Fashion Is Foremost Inspiration
Micky

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUNNY STORY. I FEEL THE SAME WAY. THERE AARE WOMEN WHO WILL MASK THEIR FACES IN BRIGHT COLORS AND LOOK LIKE A TROPICAL PARROIT. SOME BRIGHT HUES ARE GOOD TO USE BUT NOT ALL. I'M GLAD SOMEONE FEELS THE SAME WAY.

    BTW DID YOU GET THE WAITER'S NUMBER? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. blue will be my new "it" color for spring... i love the guide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies, I'm glad you liked my post. :)

    Oh, and Vanessa, he wasn't a waiter, he was just there eating. No, I didn't get his number. I'll be sure to ask if I ever see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KOOL. CAN U DO 1 ON COLORED MASCARAS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. good stuff. i agree can you do a guide on colored mascaras?

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the make-up!

    ReplyDelete

Start Your Own Website