Sunday, May 10, 2009

What Is AFashion Faux Pas?


Remember how it used to be such a fashion no-no to wear pantyhose with open toe shoes? What about those football player like shoulder pads? But guess what? They were seen in fashion weeks all over the world this past year. What about smokey eyes and red lips? Remember how we fled the bright colored makeup started using beige lipstick (no, not nude, "beige"). Now smoky or smouldering eyes paired with bright lips are coming back full force. So I guess it begs the question are there any real fashion faux pas? (Penelope Cruz's Dress aside)





Let me tell you a true story.

My mom and I used to go to the same hairdresser until the day they gave my lovely chocolate brown hair fluorescent red highlights without my permission. I went in there specifically wanting caramel highlights. Trust me on this one, it looks as bad as it sounds. My mom however, kept going there until yesterday. She liked them because they're one of those fancy salons with shiatsu massage and all they have the big time studio thing going on. They have a really impressive setup and the place looks great. I wish I owned a salon like that. However the girls who work there are "Artiste" (allegedly), and they go into smile and nod mode when you’re telling them what you want. My mother’s hair was so bad in fact that not only did she lept off the hairdresser's chair with her hair dripping wet for the first time in her life. It was so bad in fact that when she got home I had to cut some of her hair off to try and fix it.



Why do I even bother to tell you this story when I was talking about fashion faux pas? Because the one and only forever true fashion faux pas is settling for something you’re uncomfortable with, just because you're trying to be trendy or because you're making a statement. Be it a very strange haircut or a dress that just doesn’t fit right. Even if everybody is telling you it's hot, just say no!!! Say no to the Sales Associatesl that try push that pair of jeans you didn’t like so much and happens to be quite pricey. The most definite Fashion Do is only going for what you’re comfortable with and what you like. Get the look and fit that you want. You don't want tollok back at your pictures 10 years from now and wonder "What The Heck Was I Thinking?" Let your wardrobe be something that fits you. Don't be afraid to stand up to your Hair Dresser. Don't wear something just because everyone elese is trying that look. Resist the urge to merge and you'll avoid the dreaded fashion Faux Pas.





"Fashion Is Foremost Inspiration"



Micky-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start Your Own Website